What we do
Funding for good causes
Greenham Common Trust is best known for its two reactive grant rounds a year and funding for major projects which have supported over 600 local charities and community organisations with over £14 million pounds since the Trust started in 1997. We give around £300,000 a year away, managed by our Distribution Committee, in reactive grant aid.
Supporting Major Projects
The Trust has also supported some major community projects such as:
- £450,000 for a digital x-ray unit at West Berkshire Hospital
- £550,000 to the Pelican Cancer Foundation
- £570,000 to help save the Watermill Theatre
- £150,000 for a climbing wall at Adventure Dolphin activity centre in Pangbourne
- £100,000 towards a new skate park and play area in Victoria Park.
- £86,000 Newbury Outdoor Events programme – a free spectacular events programme for the whole family
Providing property for local community projects
Greenham Common Trust does a lot more than just give money away. The Trust has recently invested in property to enable local charities to work in partnership and provide better services for the local community. The Trust has refurbished these properties to meet individual requirements so the charities can concentrate on what they do best, managing and improving the services they provide. Properties that the Trust has recently acquired or built include:
- Broadway House – A centre for counselling and voluntary organisations in Newbury
- Heffernan House – supported accommodation for young people with learning disabilities
- Growing2gether – a horticultural therapy project providing training, employment and valuable skills for disadvantaged people and those with learning disabilities
- Ace Space – The Trust bought the former Royal Air Forces Association Hall in Newbury for a charity to set up a community and arts centre
- The Slater Centre – a purpose built centre for local charities and community organisations which has been the generation of a successful partnership between Newbury Community Resource Centre and West Berkshire Mencap
- Headley Community Shop – An innovative community initiative to improve a much needed service to the local villagers
- Cornerstone – Foster Care charity Children 1st West Berkshire has been able to open the very first transitional home in the country for teenagers leaving foster care
Direct Charitable Support
- The Trust spends about £200,000 a year funding New Greenham Arts which is managed on the Trust's behalf by the Newbury Corn Exchange
- The Trust regularly supports Southern Sinfonia, Newbury Spring Festival, HADCAF and the visual arts festival Open Studios
- Every year the Trust stages a high quality professional opera for the whole family at a greatly subsidised admission cost for local people
- The Trust has established a comprehensive programme of music projects aimed at encouraging local talent
- An instrument loan scheme
- Underwriting the cost of venue hire for local musical events
The Trust has committed a range of resources to improving the environment:
- Nearly £1m was spent by the Trust towards the restoration of Greenham Common
- The Trust is proactive in a range of green transport and green energy projects for Greenham Business Park
- The Trust manages, in partnership with Natural England, a Site of Special Scientific Interest within Greenham Business Park
- Free shuttle bus between Newbury and Greenham Business Park In addition to the charitable awards and grants, Greenham Common Trust also provides direct support to charities, social and arts projects. Click here to find out more.
Help in Kind
As well as all the funding provided since 1997 for local projects and organisations in the form of grant awards and large scale donations for one-off community projects, the Trust also helps the local community in a variety of other ways.
Visit the Help in Kind pages to find out more.